Monday, May 30, 2005

General Updates

I have not been writing for a while. I have been busy with a lot of things lately.

The first update is that my course is going fine and we have decided and started working on our group and individual projects.

For the group project, we have taken "Alcoholic Beverages in Australia". We need to conduct an environmental analysis, understand the players and predict no, forecast the future of the industry in India. I am part of a 6 member team.

For my individual project, I am taking the topic "The Internet and The Newspaper" and trying to understand the changes taking place in the media and how the Internet has changed everything.

On the personal front, I have been trying to find a decent one bedroom place for myself since my wife is joining me in July. Its been hard.

There is a lot of competition for housing in Adelaide. Adelaide is generally considered the "retiring capital" of Australia however since there has been a lot more young professionals coming to Adelaide now and the large intake of foreign students in the universities here the demand has exceeded supply.

In a way you can increase the population of the city faster than you can build houses!

Since I am unemployed still (that's another story) I have not been qualifying for any of the houses here. Considering that I have provided my bank statements and student visa etc for convincing that I can pay.

Luckily I have had an opportunity to get a studio apartment from the University Student Housing program. If that is finalized I have a decent place to live by the time my wife joins me.

However, I need to furnish the entire place. So that's a big headache.

In terms of costs, this will cost me $70 per week. One of the cheapest you can find. The general cost of a 1 bed room is $120 per week and increases to $150-$175 as you move closer to the "main city" or CBD.

Yes, another good news. My iBook G4 is back after 6 weeks of repair with a new HDD and Logic board. I need to install and OS and it should be screaming!

4 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Nice prices you have there i have to say...

31 May, 2005 01:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude,

managers, like telephone cleaners, are on the b-arc (see hitchhiker's guide). get some real skills instead of learning how to tell those with them what to do.

01 June, 2005 02:41  
Blogger Suhit Anantula said...

Dear Dax:

That;s nice to know. yes we international students face issues which needs to be highlighted and broadcasted to the wider community so that we may get the relevant advice for the solutions and also for future international students who are coming here.

Dear Anonymous Dude:

I think you need to tell me what exactly "these real skills". I am surprised that you do not consider strategy, thinking, managing people, finance and others as not skills.

I guess you are required to elaborate here and it would be better if you can show your real identity!

01 June, 2005 12:13  
Blogger Suhit Anantula said...

DD:

That's an interesting way to look at it. I have been wondering yesterday if i am looking at a very narrow market for my job by looking for physical jobs in Adelaide.

I think a virtual job makes a lot of sense. I need to think more on that lines....the consulting idea looks cool but I would need more people than just me...

Thanks

Suhit

06 June, 2005 12:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home